In the last couple of weeks we dug up enough carrots to fill the 21.5 quart canning pot. I'm not sure how many pounds that translates to, but it was a lot! It was exhausting work because our soil isn't root vegetable friendly yet. We're slowly trying to amend our soil, but it still has a way to go. Right now the soil still has a lot of clay and it makes it difficult for root vegetables to grow. We also have an abundance of rocks! The clay soil makes it even harder to pull root vegetables up, so we have to carefully dig them out. I snagged some of those garden gloves with claws on one hand, and they worked wonderfully for digging around the carrots. My fingers hurt for days afterwards, though.
But once we got them dug up, we rinsed them off in the kiddy pool to get most of the mud and dirt off. Then we brought them inside and started cleaning them up for being canned. The plan was to can as many as possible as just plain sliced carrots, and then can a few jars of pickled carrots. I used about half and canned 12 pints of carrots in the pressure canner. I didn't get to pickling any. It was the first time using the pressure canner, and I was a little afraid. My husband and I watched videos on YouTube, and read both the manual that came with it and the Ball book that came with the water bath canner. Once we triple checked the steps we got started. We succeeded without blowing anything up! And my fears are mostly gone, and I'm looking forward to pressure canning lots more!
I've got more updates about our bees soon. So check back often for more updates!
Until next time, have fun and stay natural!